Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Counting Down!

Well, yesterday I got some Official - Unofficial news about Dave coming home! Iowa troops will be the first to leave Iraq with the first group leaving within the 1st 2 weeks of MAY! The 2nd group will leave sometime in the last 2 weeks of MAY, more than likely home by Memorial Weekend! The Unofficial part of the news is that this being the US Army...things can change at any time. When I get a phone call from Wisconsin in with an American area code, I'll believe it! hehe Our FRG is busy planning a homecoming for the guys so they can know how much they've been missed.

REBEL RIDING: I love my Rebel! It is so much easier to manage while I'm gaining some skills. I haven't ridden due to weather being cold and about 4" of snow on the ground here. My route was really getting boring just riding in our little neighborhood so I decided it was time to venture out into the world. In the car, I scouted a route that I'd been thinking of, which was a good thing because I found a couple of things I'd want to change. That afternoon I waited until Laura got home (my back up) and told her which roads I'd be on and then took off. SUCCESS! I drove at least 4-5 miles on that trip, although it was very very windy and I learned that wind can be scary. When I got home and parked my bike in the garage, I WooHooed! That was so much fun.

My next big ride was last week when I decided to go see my friend Julie. It is a very easy route but I had to cross busy Ansborough by University. I had a light, was first in line and very confident. When the light turned green, I started out and for some reason, the bike killed halfway through the intersection! Squelching the panic, my reliable Rebel fired back up and away I went, kinda wobbly but I made it through. Julie and Sara made me promise to call them when I made it back home. hehe

Lastnight, Carrie and I, Julie and Sara, had dinner at the Hong Kong together. Julie and I have tried for so long to arrange it but it took the girls to plan it and make us do it! We had a great time talking of babies (Julie has granddaughter Jordan) and 2 year olds. I guess that will be primary conversations from now on, "Look at my perfect grandchild!" followed by the 2" thick package of pictures!

Will it be Grandma, Grammy, Mimi, MeMaw, Gamma? I really don't care what he calls me, just as long as he loves me!

1 comment:

Lisa Arne said...

Hi Lois,
I found your blog searching the 34th CAB. My husband is also over there with your husband, Dave. Glad to hear your guy is coming home in the first group. I have this bad feeling mine is coming home with the 2nd group. You sound like me, empty nest, bored and ready for them to come home, now! I hope you have recovered from your motorcycle accident and that things with you are well. We still have a good 6 weeks left, at least. Here's to that time going by real quick.

Lisa Arne
larne@mchsi.com