Saturday, June 14, 2008

What a WEEK!!

1. Thursday, June 5th, Dave leaves for Oklahoma. Sigh.
2. Friday, June 6th, Lois, Laura, Tyler, Ranger & Maggie go to Mpls for pleasure and business. I took my camera but never took a picture cuz I didn't have it when I could. The dogs traveled so well, Ranger just really liked being with me. They both made themselves at home at Dave and Elaine's house, plopping on the furniture (Ranger) and walking on the back of the couch (Maggie).
3. Saturday: The 3 of us went to see my mom at her new place and took the dogs with. She enjoyed seeing all of us and meeting Tyler. I also showed Tyler around my old neighborhood and of course, I took him to see Dave's barbershop, which was my dad's when I was little. Dave (Harder) tried to sell the shop to Tyler...hehe. Tyler told him he would have to make some changes, like "gut the shop". I went to see my Uncle Les and Aunt Luella later on and had dinner with them. We had a wonderful visit. He has always been my very favorite uncle (my dad's younger brother). After that, I went to my brother's house in Blaine. My niece Jenny was there (cute baby bump) and we visited for quite a while. We don't see each other enough. I would love to see my nephews Eric and Charlie and of course, my great nephew, Jovanni. Maybe next time.
4. Sunday: I met up with Gretchen (my boss) and went to the Minneapolis Gift Mart. We saw all of the new products coming out and ordered a ton of stuff for "our" shop. This actually went on for about 8 hours Sunday and Monday.
5. Tuesday: Met Gretchen and her husband Kim and then on to downtown Mpls to choose some display fixtures for the store.

This is where we got the call that the downtown area of Cedar Falls was dangerously close to flooding...that is where the kitchen shop is. Ahhhh! Poor Gretchen was shaken and we made a hasty exit, she and Kim went home and I went to the Mall of America. People back home were sandbagging and a crew of townsfolk came to the rescue by going to the shop and making sure all was out of the basement and off the lower shelves and floor. Amazing! The river crested the highest ever at 102.12 feet. Downtown was closed as well as quite a few streets and bridges in both Cedar Falls & Waterloo. I'm sure you've all seen the pictures...and today, most of Iowa along the Cedar River is under water.

6. Wednesday: I head home hoping they will let me into Cedar Falls. There was only one bridge open between Waterloo & CF and after several detours, I made it back to my favorite house on Lovejoy Drive.




7. Thursday-Present: The flood moves south of us and we begin cleanup. Thank to all who contacted us and Thelma to check on things. It's just crazy to be all over the national news for about a month...and it's not even a caucus!

No comments: